Glades General Hospital is located in the city of Belle Glade in western Palm Beach County. The main building was originally built in 1965, with an addition to the operating room suite was built in 1984.
A second addition to the hospital was built in 2000 which housed obstetrics. Adjacent to the main hospital building is the Memorial Wing, built in 1944 and was part of the original hospital. It housed the hospital’s administration, doctor’s offices and storage facilities.
In 1998, Everglades Memorial Hospital in Pahokee shut down with service being consolidated to Glades General.
Glades General Hospital operated until its closure in October 2009 when it was replaced by the newer Lakeside Medical Center, a 70-bed public hospital built less than 5 miles away.
The Palm Beach County Health Care District sold the hospital in 2010 to Miami development firm Castello Brothers for $250,000. The thought was the property would be used for migrant housing. The Castello Brothers had previously done another project in the Glades, called Belle Glade Gardens. But the migrant housing plan never materialized.
In 2015, the property was sold again for $1.8 million to Passages Malibu, a drug and alcoholic treatment center based out of Malibu, California. They are hoping to renovate the building at an estimated cost of $3 million to $10 million and open it as a rehabilitation center.