|City/Town: • Craig Key Island
|Location Class: • Residential
|Built: • N/A | Abandoned: • N/A
|Status: • Abandoned
|Photojournalist: • David Bulit
Originally known as Camp Panama, Craig Key was a wide spot off of the Overseas Railroad right-of-way. It was originally a flag spot for the railroad before the early 1930s when Roland W. Craig leased the island from the railroad, and by 1935 the island had been named Craig, Florida. The town was completed destroyed in the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane but was rebuilt and prospered as a vacation spot. The name of the town was officially changed to Craig Key in 1971. In 2009, the Florida Department of Transportation removed all traces of Craig Key after the rebuilding of the Overseas Highway, except for the two islands.
The story of how it came to be isn’t very exciting and is heard of far too common. The owner had the home built and the property developed, but construction was halted due to financial problems leading to its eventual abandonment. What’s left of it is nothing more than a shell of what was supposed to be an oceanside mansion.