• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - 1950's Built

Forest Park Head Start School | Photo © 2007 Nomeus, www.flurbex.com

Forest Park Head Start School

Forest Park Elementary School, 1950s Forest Park Elementary School was constructed in 1954 located at the corner of Forest and Goodwin Streets in Mixon Town, Jacksonville. The school was one of many...

Thunderbird Motor Hotel | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Thunderbird Motor Hotel

The iconic Thunderbird Motor Hotel sign once located off the expressway The Thunderbird Motor Hotel opened in 1959 in Arlington, once a growing residential and commercial suburb for the downtown...

First Baptist Church, Port St. Joe | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

First Baptist Church, Port St. Joe

The First Baptist Church at the corner of Monument Avenue and 3rd Street First Baptist Church of Port St. Joe was founded in 1923 by a group of 12 people with a shared vision, “to glorify God...

Deauville Beach Resort | Photo © 2017 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Deauville Beach Resort

The Deauville The original hotel was constructed in 1926 by Joe Elsener, a real estate investor and one of Carl Fisher’s top salesmen. The Deauville Casino was a luxurious casino and beach club...

Rader Memorial United Methodist Church | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Rader Memorial United Methodist Church

  The building has been boarded up since its closure in 2007. The Rader Memorial United Methodist Church was founded in 1923 and is one of the oldest congregations in Miami-Dade County. The church in...

Salem Motel and General Store | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Salem Motel

  Salem Motel postcard, date unknown Between the towns of Perry and Cross City and along U.S. Route 19 is the small unincorporated community of Salem. The post office in Salem opened on April 16...

Mt. Calvary Baptist Church | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Mt. Calvary Baptist Church

  1949 Sanborn Insurance Map for Jacksonville, Florida. Library of Congress The Mt. Calvary Baptist Church is a church located in the historically black neighborhood of Brooklyn. Originally known as...

Lockhart Stadium | Photo © 2017 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Lockhart Stadium

The stadium was last home to the Fort Lauderdale Strikers Lockhart Stadium was dedicated at a football game on September 18, 1959, named after former city commissioner H.Y. “Doug”...

Fort Bengali | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Fort Bengali

Leon “Buddy” Hough Located in Saint Augustine on State Road 16, Fort Bengali was first opened in the late-1950s by Leon Hamilton “Buddy” Hough as the “Oldest...

Plantation Paradise | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Plantation Paradise

  Plantation Paradise, 1960s postcard Born in Philadelphia in 1919, Harold “Jake” Emminger came to Florida during World War II as an Air Force captain stationed at MacDill Air Force Base...

The Colony Beach and Tennis Resort | Photo © 2017 Jake Williams & BrightSunFilms

The Colony Beach and Tennis Resort

  Photo Courtesy of Jake Williams and BrightSunFilms The Colony was first constructed in 1952 by Sarasota developer Herb Field, which was then a collection of charming beach cottages and a popular...

Chekika | Photo © 2009 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Chekika

The campground of Lake Chekika Chekika was first purchased by Samuel Grossman back in 1917 where he attempted to grow tomatoes and then tried drilling for oil on the site. While drilling for oil, the...

Noralyn Phosphate Mine | Photo © 2012 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Noralyn Phosphate Mine

A Brief History of Phosphate Mining in Florida Noralyn Mine is a phosphate mine located in the Bone Vallery region of Florida. The Hawthorn Foundation is a layer of clay and limestone deposited...

Seminole Restaurant | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Seminole Restaurant

A number of old and classic cars littered the property at one point Located Fl-20 just outside of Blountstown, the Seminole Restaurant was operated by James O. Holt and his wife Iris M. Holt. The...

Tom Gaskins Cypress Knee Museum | Photo © 2013 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Tom Gaskins Cypress Knee Museum

In 1930, Tom Gaskins moved his family from Arcadia to Palmdale, living on land acquired from Lykes Bros., a citrus, sugar and ranching company. There, he became fascinated with the...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer