• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - 1930's Built

Cypress Gardens | Photo © Nomeus, www.flurbex.com

Cypress Gardens

Cypress Gardens Cypress Gardens opened on January 2, 1936, as a botanical garden planted by Dick Pope Sr. and his wife Julie, billed as Florida’s first commercial tourist theme park. It became...

Marion S. Whaley Citrus Packing House | Photo © 2011 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Marion S. Whaley Citrus Packing House

Part of the ceiling has collapsed, spilling boxes that were being stored up there. Marion S. Whaley was a prominent local fruit farmer with many groves located around Rockledge, where he developed...

V.C. Denton House | Photo © 2018 Bullet

V. C. Denton House

  Courtesy of the State Library and Archives of Florida, photo taken in 1937 Located along the main highway into Pahokee, this home in Pahokee was built by Velpeau Curtis Denton and his wife, Hulett...

Burlington St. Water Plant | Photo © 2009 Bullet

Burlington St. Water Plant

  The water plant was known to be where prostitutes and drug users hung out at The water plant complex, which was located at 1021 Burlington Street, was built in the 1930s and supplied water to the...

Glades Correctional Institution | Photo © 2015 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Glades Correctional Institution

  Established in 1932 as Florida Prison Farm #2, inmates were sent here from Florida Prison Farm #2 in Raiford to grow fresh vegetables for state institutions. The name changed in 1951 to Glades...

Carefree Theatre | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

The Carefree Theatre

The Carefree Theatre, c. 1950s In 1939, the building on the corner of Dixie Highway and Flamingo Drive housed an ice cream parlor and coin laundry. It was that year that it was bought by Elias...

Temple of Yahweh | Photo © 2015 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Yahweh Education Center

Hulon Mitchell Jr. Yahweh ben Yahweh, born Hulon Mitchell Jr., was the founder, and leader of the Nation of Yahweh, a black supremacist new religious movement founded in 1979 and headquartered in...

Malaga Restaurant | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Malaga Restaurant

If you drive past 740 SW 8th Street, you’ll notice it’s nothing but an empty lot with cars parked on the property, but back in the 70s and 80s, it was one of the most popular restaurants...

RC Cola Miami Plant | Photo © 2015 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

RC Cola Miami Plant

Information came from the book, “Lost Miami: Stories and Secrets Behind Magic City Ruins” which can be purchased from Abandoned Atlas. Royal Crown Company Inc., originally called the Union Bottling...

Everglades Regional Memorial Hospital | Photo © 2011 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Everglades Regional Medical Center

Looking down the hall towards the pediatrics ward The Everglades Memorial Hospital opened in 1936 in the small town of Pahokee. On May 11, 1950, a new building was built and opened with a dedication...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer