• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Recreational

Cypress Gardens | Photo © Nomeus, www.flurbex.com

Cypress Gardens

Cypress Gardens Cypress Gardens opened on January 2, 1936, as a botanical garden planted by Dick Pope Sr. and his wife Julie, billed as Florida’s first commercial tourist theme park. It became...

Suwannee Springs | Photo © 2021 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Suwannee Springs

The first Suwannee Springs Hotel. Memories of Suwannee Springs Florida Suwannee Springs is the site of natural springs and was a historic mineral spring tourist attraction and hotel in Suwannee...

Brooksville Headless Brontosaurus | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Brooksville Headless Brontosaurus

Located in Brooksville, the unfinished sculpture of a brontosaurus was the work of August Herwede who lived in the house on the property behind the dinosaur. August was born September 21, 1886, and...

Jarazic Park | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Jarazic Park

A covered structure with a sign reading “KIDDIE RIDES” hanging above it. Jarazic Park was a miniature golf course and batting cage attraction operating in the 1990s. Located in Navarre...

Parque José Martí Stadium | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Ruins of Cuba: Parque José Martí Stadium

  The design of the stadium is reminiscent of the Miami Marine Stadium in Miami, Florida Parque José Martí in Havana, Cuba was originally designed in the 1940s under the Fulgencio Batista regime...

Lundy's Cave | Photo © 2017 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Lucky Lundy’s Cave

Flashlights illuminate the dark passages of Lundy’s Cave Lundy’s Cave was a show cave that was a byproduct of an attempt to search for money that was said to have been thrown into a...

Frontón Jai Alai | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Ruins of Cuba: Frontón Jai Alai

History of Havana’s Frontón Jai Alai Jai alai was brought over to Cuba in 1898 by the Basques, the indigenous people of the Basque Country in Spain. In April 1898, the Mazzatini brothers made...

World of Orchids | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

A World of Orchids

The ‘World of Orchids’ sign that welcomed passersby and visitors. World of Orchids was a working greenhouse located in Kissimmee. It included over thousands of orchids, including rare and...

White Sulfur Springs Ruins | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

White Sulfur Springs Ruins

  The bathhouse at White Springs in 1912. Photo courtesy of the Florida State Archives. When Spanish explorers visited the area in the 1530s, the area was inhabited by the Timucuan tribe who believed...

Placid Tower | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

The Placid Tower

  Postcard featuring the Placid Tower, circa 1960s When Earnest Oakley Hunt moved to Orlando from Colorado in 1938, he dreamed of building an observation tower. After relocating to Sebring in 1947...

Fort Lauderdale Stadium | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Fort Lauderdale Stadium

Fort Lauderdale Stadium opened in 1962 as the spring training stadium for the New York Yankees. Fort Lauderdale Stadium opened in 1962 and was the New York Yankees spring training stadium since its...

Lockhart Stadium | Photo © 2017 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Lockhart Stadium

The stadium was last home to the Fort Lauderdale Strikers Lockhart Stadium was dedicated at a football game on September 18, 1959, named after former city commissioner H.Y. “Doug”...

Crandon Park Zoo | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Crandon Park Zoo

Crandon Park Zoo brochure, 1960s In late August and early September 1965, a hurricane spun across the Atlantic Ocean, looping, pausing and backtracking like some terrible ballerina trying to keep her...

Fort Bengali | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Fort Bengali

Leon “Buddy” Hough Located in Saint Augustine on State Road 16, Fort Bengali was first opened in the late-1950s by Leon Hamilton “Buddy” Hough as the “Oldest...

Wild Waters | Photo © 2018 @mickshutter

Wild Waters

Postcard for Silver Springs Wild Waters was a water park located in Silver Springs, Florida, and was the sister park of Silver Springs Nature Theme Park, the site of Florida’s oldest commercial...

Genovar's Hall | Photo © 2019 Bullet

Genovar’s Hall

  The Lenape Bar and Wynn Hotel, date unknown Genovar’s Hall was built by Sebastian Genovar in 1895 as a grocery store. It is located in the LaVilla neighborhood in Jacksonville and was...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer