• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Southern Florida

Academy of Arts & Minds | Photo by sergioisevil

Academy of Arts & Minds

  The main lobby of the high school. Photo courtesy of sergioisevil Bridgeprep Academy of Arts and Minds Charter High School (BAAM) was a performing and visual arts public charter...

Richmond Naval Air Station | Photo © 2012 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Richmond Naval Air Station

  A circa 1943 view of the interior of the massive NAS Richmond blimp hangar, showing 5 Navy blimps & a blimp gondola undergoing maintenance. Lieutenant Nelson Grills and his crew of nine...

Opa-locka Administration Building | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Opa-locka Company Administration Building

  Glenn Curtiss, 1909 Glenn Curtiss, “The Father of Naval Aviation” The city of Opa-locka in Miami-Dade County is the brainchild of Glenn Curtiss, known by many as the “Father of...

Fort Lauderdale Stadium | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Fort Lauderdale Stadium

Fort Lauderdale Stadium opened in 1962 as the spring training stadium for the New York Yankees. Fort Lauderdale Stadium opened in 1962 and was the New York Yankees spring training stadium since its...

Lockhart Stadium | Photo © 2017 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Lockhart Stadium

The stadium was last home to the Fort Lauderdale Strikers Lockhart Stadium was dedicated at a football game on September 18, 1959, named after former city commissioner H.Y. “Doug”...

Moore Haven Downtown Historic District | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Moore Haven Downtown Historic District

  A satellite view of the historic district in 2003. The Moore Haven Down Historic District was designated on the National Register of Historic Places on October 12, 1995. The district runs from 3...

Atlantic Shores Hospital | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Atlantic Shores Hospital

  The exterior of the hospital shortly before demolition Atlantic Shores Hospital was a behavioral health center in Fort Lauderdale that provided residential treatment to adults and adolescents...

Graham House | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Graham House

  Ernest R. Graham in front of the Graham family home, 1959 Ernest R. “Cap” Graham was born in 1886 in Croswell, Michigan. He worked as a mining engineer in South Dakota where he would...

Crandon Park Zoo | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Crandon Park Zoo

Crandon Park Zoo brochure, 1960s In late August and early September 1965, a hurricane spun across the Atlantic Ocean, looping, pausing and backtracking like some terrible ballerina trying to keep her...

Lula H. Hattersley House | Photo © 2015 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Lula H. Hattersley House

  The house has sat on the corner lot by Lummus Park for decades Built in 1914, this home was once located at 428 NW 4th Street in Miami and originally owned by Lula H. Hattersley. The original lot...

Hollywood Bread Building | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Hollywood Bread Building

  Hollywood Bread’s originator and founder, Eleanor Roth Hansberry Hollywood Bread’s origin and history are debated as much of it can’t be substantiated. Its founder, Eleanor Roth...

V.C. Denton House | Photo © 2018 Bullet

V. C. Denton House

  Courtesy of the State Library and Archives of Florida, photo taken in 1937 Located along the main highway into Pahokee, this home in Pahokee was built by Velpeau Curtis Denton and his wife, Hulett...

Redland Coral Castle House | Photo © 2009 Bullet

Redland Coral Castle House

An undated postcard for the Coral Castle Old postcards called it “Coral Castle”, a local landmark known for its beautiful gardens and distinctive castle-like home. According to some...

Port of the Islands Hotel | Photo © 2018 Bullet

Port of the Islands Hotel

Gulf American Land Corporation Not to be confused with the Port of the Islands Adventure Resort which is still in operation, the Port of the Islands Hotel located to the North of Tamiami Trail was...

Burlington St. Water Plant | Photo © 2009 Bullet

Burlington St. Water Plant

  The water plant was known to be where prostitutes and drug users hung out at The water plant complex, which was located at 1021 Burlington Street, was built in the 1930s and supplied water to the...

Old Pahokee High School | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedfl.com

Old Pahokee High School

  Pahokee High School, c. 1940s. Courtesy of the States Archives of Florida Despite the massive destruction caused by the nameless but disastrous Hurricane of 1928, some buildings did manage to...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer