Florida Medical Center South

Photo Credit: Bullet, 2011 Located on Sunrise Blvd. in Plantation, Florida, it was built in 1962 ‘Doctor’s General Hospital’ and was the first to open in Broward County’s suburbs. Tenet Healthcare, the nation’s second-largest hospital chain, acquired the 202-room hospital in 1996 after taking over the ORNDA chain, and renamed it ‘Florida Medical Center South’. The hospital was closed in April 1998 though,... Read More

Anderson’s Corner

Anderson’s Corner was the only store around to purchase goods. The years between 1910 and 1920 saw Dade County’s population quadruple in size. The landscape was quickly evolving from deserted wetland swamps to rows of fields as rudimentary roads and auspicious homesteaders found their way south. Draining the lowlands provided ample opportunities for agricultural endeavors and it was not long before extensive development was underway. Because... Read More

Colony Plaza Hotel

Ramada Inn Tower during the “first look” at Walt Disney World. The Colony Plaza Hotel was originally built as a Ramada Inn in 1968 in Ocoee, Florida. The hotel contained a a lounge, swimming pool, tennis courts, and meeting rooms. It was also the first hotel in Orange County to receive a license to serve liquor with meals on Sundays. The site also served as a temporary headquarters for Disney officials who hosted a press conference in... Read More

Ambassador Hotel

The Griner Hotel was renamed to the Ambassador Hotel in 1955. The six-story brick and limestone building was built in 1924 and opened as the upscale 310 West Church Street Apartments. Designed by architects Hal Hentz, Neel Reid and Rudolph Adler, the Georgian Revival styled building was built in the shape of an “H” which provided every room with a window while still able to house about 110 residents. In 1944, the apartment building was... Read More

Next Page »