Tag Archives: tantrum_dan

Photo by Nomeus, 2009 - Flurbex.com

Colony Plaza Hotel

wdw668935SMALL
Photo:Ramada Inn Tower during the “first look” at Walt Disney World.

The Colony Plaza Hotel was originally built as a Ramada Inn in 1968. The hotel contained a a lounge, swimming pool, tennis courts, and meeting rooms. It was also the first hotel in Orange County to receive a license to serve liquor with meals on Sundays.

The site also served as a temporary headquarters for Disney officials who hosted a press conference in 1969. As someone put it, a “giant circus tent” was set up outside the hotel and invited guests were able to preview the upcoming opening of Walt Disney World Resort. Roy Disney, along with Disney legends Card Walker, John Hench, Charlie Ridgway, and Donn Tatum signed autographs and spoke announced October 1, 1971 as the opening date. Roy told guests at the event:

“You should know that the dedication of our staff to Walt’s goals is tremendous. And I know Walt would like what his creative team is doing because these are the ideas and plans he began. Everything you will see here today is something Walt worked on and began in some way. And today, the Walt Disney organization is dedicated to carrying out these wonderful plans in Walt Disney World.”

wdw778935SMALL
Photo: Guests were able to view scale models, artwork and animatronic figures at the event.

As hotels started being developed to directly support Disney, the hotel declined, changing hands numerous times before it finally converting into the Colony Plaza condominium complex and a portion of that being converted into a time share in the 1990s. In 2001, the city condemned the building after malfunctioning sprinklers flooded the first four floors. Apparently, it was marketed overseas which had let it fall into disrepair.

The city attempted to demolish the structure multiple times over the years that followed but ran into legal issues related to a longtime lien on the property, as well as the building’s fractured ownership which according to the mayor, had over 500 owners. On May 9, 2009, with hundreds of spectators to witness the event, the city demolished the building.


Photo(Tantrum_Dan, 2008): The building fell into disrepair over the years after it’s condemnation.

Photographer: Nomeus
Year Taken: 2009
Website: FLURBEX

Photographer: Tantrum_Dan
Year Taken: 2007
Website: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tantrum_dan/

Archive Photos

Photo by Tantrum Dan, 2007

Popash School


Photo(Tantrum_Dan, 2007): The schoolhouse was built in 1912, replacing the previous school which opened in 1898.

The town of Popash began in the 1950s, establishing a post office in 1979 and the New Hope Baptist Church soon after. The town got it’s name from a tree that grows in Florida that locals couldn’t identify. Some thought it was a poplar tree while others thought it was an ash tree, so the two were combined to form Popash. The town was primarily a cattle and farming community, with the school session timed to let out with the strawberry season from December to mid-March.

In 1886, the coming of a railroad to the small town promised a big future. However, the railroad bypassed Popash for the nearby town of Zolfo Springs, where a year later, the post office would be relocated to. From then on, the town Popash slowly faded.

A school was established in 1898 and was replaced with a two-story brick schoolhouse in 1912. W. J. Jackson being the first supervisor of the school. The functioned until it’s closure in 1948, and by then, the town of Popash could have been considered a ghost town.


Photo: A view of the school during it’s operation; circa 1925.

Popash School, as with many abandoned schools, was thought to be haunted, where children’s laughter was said to be heard if you were really quiet. Some people claim it used to be a hospital and the haunting are caused by children during a fever epidemic; though this is not true. Others claim the school was built on the site of a previous wooden school which had burned down, claiming the lives of many children; though this is not true either.

The school saw a lot of vandalism after it’s closure, mostly kids looking for a good scare. The property which the school sat on was owned by the Pace family, who used the property for parking staging trucks and tractor trailers. In 2008, a barbed wire fence was erected to keep vandals away from the school as well as the trucks parked nearby.

In January 2009, the school was demolished.


Photo(Tantrum_Dan, 2009): The school was demolished as the owners had a business on the property.

Photographer: Tantrum Dan
Year Taken: 2007 – 2009
Website: Flickr

Archive Photos

Resources
Ghosttowns.com

Weird U.S.