Tag Archives: residential

Photo by Bullet, 2012

William Robinson House


Photo(Emily Dietrich, 2011): After a rash of vandalism and theft at the home, it was boarded up, though that didn’t stop someone from kicking the door off it’s hinges.

Nestled into the coast of the Indian River Lagoon, where south Florida and central Florida first start to merge, sits an incredible historical house – once undoubtedly one of the most beautiful gems of the area – in an incredibly depressing state of disrepair.

Built circa 1900 by William Robinson, the large, two-story family home was a gorgeous example of Folk-Victorian architecture. Boasting a balcony fully crossing the front of the home and complete with intricate and ornate details, bay windows on the first and second floor, and a matching garage and doghouse, this family home has sat quietly for the last several years after its last owners abandoned it post-hurricane Frances in 2004 when it was deemed uninhabitable. The home has been in foreclosure since 2008, however, in the same year St Lucie County voted in favor of designating the William Robinson house as an exceptional historic resource. With such a designation, the owners would be able to receive a considerable amount of assistance to help with the maintenance – yet the home still sits, silently, in shambles. It is currently the only home in St Lucie County’s historic register.


Photo(Emily Dietrich, 2011): The ceiling is collapsing and there are holes throughout the entirety of the home.

It is apparent that the last owners had suffered a family tragedy before abandoning the home. At the last visit, the home was still full of all sorts of trinkets and treasures from the life that they left behind, most of which are, unfortunately, incredibly weather damaged or destroyed. Family photos, both old and new, are littered across the floors. Newspapers, books, magazines and personal papers are also abundant, spilling out of boxes and scattered from room to room. The tiny kitchen is completely stripped, and vandals have begun to mark the place with random bits of graffiti. The floors are broken, weathered, and soft; upstairs is a real hazard, with some spots too dangerous to continue past. The most gripping part of the house, however, is the child’s room upstairs – still full of toys, photos, and other personal effects.

Every day in the volatile south Florida weather undoubtably seals the fate of the home just a little bit more. Every storm, big or small, is a huge threat. Being right on the coast is certainly not helping it either, with the salt water breezes coming from the estuary that it sits directly across from. Everyone who knows the house seems to hope that it can be saved somehow, although with every passing day the outlook seems to be more and more bleak, even at best.


Photo(Bullet, 2012): With a rotting foundation and a collapsing roof, the future looks bleak for the house.

Photographer: Bullet
Year Taken: 2012
Website: Abandoned Florida

Photographer: Emily Dietrich
Year Taken: 2011
Website: emilydietrich.com

Related Posts
Medical Neglegence

Photo by Bullet, 2011

McFadden Homestead


Photo(Bullet, 2011): Years of neglect and hurricanes has done a great deal of damage to the home.

Built near the shores of Lake Okeechobee, this house was probably no different than the others around it when it was built back in 1934. Today though, the house is just a ghost of it’s former self.

According to a friend who spoke with the caretaker of the property, the former owner of the house was a woman named Jeanne McFadden who lived in the house her entire life. Practically having any family, she died around 2006 approaching the age of 100. She had a brother though, who lived in Miami but he refused to help her in any way. As her health deteriorated, so did her home.

The reason the house hasn’t been sold or demolished is because she remained the title owner even after her death. Earlier this year, the property changed hands to the Federal Government, and it seems the home will end up like many others – a dirt lot.


Photo(Bullet, 2011): The interior of the home has been gutted and all that remains are a few toilets and a refrigerator.

Photographer: Bullet
Year Taken: 2011
Website: Abandoned Florida

Photo by Tantrum Dan, 2007

Popash School


Photo(Tantrum_Dan, 2007): The schoolhouse was built in 1912, replacing the previous school which opened in 1898.

The town of Popash began in the 1950s, establishing a post office in 1979 and the New Hope Baptist Church soon after. The town got it’s name from a tree that grows in Florida that locals couldn’t identify. Some thought it was a poplar tree while others thought it was an ash tree, so the two were combined to form Popash. The town was primarily a cattle and farming community, with the school session timed to let out with the strawberry season from December to mid-March.

In 1886, the coming of a railroad to the small town promised a big future. However, the railroad bypassed Popash for the nearby town of Zolfo Springs, where a year later, the post office would be relocated to. From then on, the town Popash slowly faded.

A school was established in 1898 and was replaced with a two-story brick schoolhouse in 1912. W. J. Jackson being the first supervisor of the school. The functioned until it’s closure in 1948, and by then, the town of Popash could have been considered a ghost town.


Photo: A view of the school during it’s operation; circa 1925.

Popash School, as with many abandoned schools, was thought to be haunted, where children’s laughter was said to be heard if you were really quiet. Some people claim it used to be a hospital and the haunting are caused by children during a fever epidemic; though this is not true. Others claim the school was built on the site of a previous wooden school which had burned down, claiming the lives of many children; though this is not true either.

The school saw a lot of vandalism after it’s closure, mostly kids looking for a good scare. The property which the school sat on was owned by the Pace family, who used the property for parking staging trucks and tractor trailers. In 2008, a barbed wire fence was erected to keep vandals away from the school as well as the trucks parked nearby.

In January 2009, the school was demolished.


Photo(Tantrum_Dan, 2009): The school was demolished as the owners had a business on the property.

Photographer: Tantrum Dan
Year Taken: 2007 – 2009
Website: Flickr

Archive Photos

Resources
Ghosttowns.com

Weird U.S.