Photo(Nomeus, 2007 - Flurbex.com): The power remained on even at night.
In the late 1930s, war with Japan seemed imminent; construction on a new power plant began to accommodate the needs of the growing population and the nearby Air Force base. Hookers Point Power Plant came online in 1940, a 220-megawatt coal-burning facility consisting of five steam turbine power-generating units. The plant would generate power for the growing Tampa Bay area for the next 46 years.
It wasn’t until 1986 when the plant was removed from service, as the plant owners, Tampa Electric, found it more economical. It would only be 4 years before Hookers Power Plant was put back into operation. It would continue operating until 2002, when plans were being made to dismantle the facility.
Photo(Nomeus, 2007 - Flurbex.com): Dismantling the facility took more than 7 years to complete.
In 1996, Tampa Electric assigned $570,000 for the dismantling of the plant. In 2002, the facility was shutdown once again and removal of it began. A major part of the project was the removal and disposal of asbestos associated with the five steam turbines. By the end, over 2.5 million pounds of steel and cast iron was removed, with 99% of the copper, nickel, brass and steel recycled.
In 2007, the property was designated a “brownfield” by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. A brownfield is defined by the FDEP as an abandoned, idled, or underused industrial facility where expansions or redevelopment is complicated by real or perceived environmental contamination.
Demolition and dismantling ended in January 2009.
Photo(Nomeus, 2007 - Flurbex.com): Paperwork, among other things, were left behind when the facility closed.
Year Taken: 2007
TRC America Inc. – Scrapping the turbines