Photo(Nomeus, 2012 – Flurbex.com): Furniture remains inside the building, reminders of the building’s past.
Jones Brothers Furniture Company was founded in 1902, following the boom that occurred after the Great Fire of 1901. It was owned by W. G. and Michael K. Jones, who employed their younger brother R. L. Jones to work in the store.
By 1910, R. L. Jones started a rival company, Standard Furniture. In 1926, he developed this building, one story taller than his brothers’ six story building, to house his prospering business. The building was constructed out of reinforced concrete and features Mediterranean Revival detailing at its upper level, as well as originally having a suspended canopy over the main entrance.
Photo(Nomeus, 2012 – Flurbex.com): Despite years of neglect, preservationists hope the building can still be saved.
Year Taken: 2012