Photo by Nomeus, 2009 -

Britton Cinema 8

Photo(Nomeus, 2009 – The Britton 8 consists of eight small screening rooms such as this one

Opening as a single screen theater in 1956, the Britton Theatre was designed by architect James E. Casale with a seating capacity of 1,800. Described as being the ‚Äúlargest theatre south of Washington, D.C.”, it had a 70mm capability and a 60′ wide screen.

In 1972, General Cinema bought the theater and reopened it as the Britton III, in 1973. It was remodeled as a triplex, with one large screen which held up to 872 viewers, and two smaller screening rooms which held a little over 400 viewers each. General Cinema closed the theater in 1991.

In 1992, Muvico purchased the theater and remodeled it once again, splitting it into eight small screening rooms and reopening it as the Britton 8. Regal Cinemas took control of the theater in October 1995 and operated it until February 25, 2001, when it was closed due to rising pressure for larger seating theaters.

Zota Theatres reopened the theater soon after and it would be another six years before the theater was closed again in September 2008. On August 14, 2009, 5 Star Cinemas reopened the Britton 8 and continue to operate it to this day.

Photo(Nomeus, 2009 – The theater reopened as a valued alternative to larger theaters, pricing movie tickets at $3 all day

Photographer: Nomeus
Year Taken: 2009
Website: FLURBEX

Archive Photos

February 2001 – St. Petersburg Times; Britton Plaza theater to shutdown Sunday

September 2008 – St. Petersburg Times; Final curtain closes at Britton 8 cinema

August 2009 – St. Petersburg Times; Britton 8 theater reopens with addition of Indian films

Photo by Nomeus, 2007 -

Disney’s Pop Century, The Legendary Years

Photo(Nomeus, 2007 – The Legendary Years section was to be themed around the 1900-1940s decades

Disney’s Pop Century Resort is one of four hotels that cost less but still retain the Disney quality you expect. Originally planned to open in 2001, the opening was delayed due to a sharp drop in tourism following the September 11 attacks. The resort finally opened on December 13, 2003.

The hotel is unique as it is themed around American culture icons from different decades. The icons are then super-sized and placed throughout the building of the decade they pertain to, for example, the 1980s themed buildings have super-sized versions of Pac-Man and Mr.Potato Head.

Part of two phases, the first phase was named “The Classic Years” and includes 1950-1990s themed areas. This section of the resort consists of 2880 rooms, three pools shaped like a flower, a laptop, and bowling pin, and a central area called the “Classic Hall”.

The second phase was to be called the “Legendary Years”, which was to include 1900-1940s themed areas. The section was to be located across a lake from the “Classic Years” resort and connected by a bridge. Though construction on both resorts were started at the same time, Disney scaled back the project after the drop in tourism, opening the “Classic Years” section and abandoning the “Legendary Years” section that had already been partially constructed.

Photo(Nomeus, 2007 – The project was abandoned mid-construction

Disney began preparing the land around “The Legendary Years” in January 2010 and announced on May 12 their plans to complete the buildings as part of an all-new resort known as Disney’s Art of Animation Resort. As with Pop Century, it will be value-priced and will be themed around four of Disney’s popular films; The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Finding Nemo and Cars.

Construction began that same summer with the first section of the resort, themed around Finding Nemo, opening on May 31, 2012. When the “Legendary Years” buildings were first being built, a bridge named the ‘Generation Gap Bridge’ was constructed to connect both parts of Pop Century and made them accessible to each other. The bridge now connects Pop Century to the Finding Nemo section of the Art of Animation Resort.

The Cars section of the resort opened on June 18, 2012 and was themed after the Cozy Cone Motel from the film. The Lion King section opened on August 10, 2012 and features a more “natural” setting reminiscent of the wild. The final section of the resort, themed around The Little Mermaid, opened on September 15, 2012.
Photo(, 2012): The Cars section of the resort, themed after the Cozy Cone Motel from the film.

Photographer: Nomeus
Year Taken: 2007
Website: FLURBEX

Photo by Nomeus, 2008 -

Morgan Street Jail

Photo by Nomeus, 2008 -
Photo(Nomeus, 2008 – The jail was built in 1964 and an annex was added in 1981.

In the early 1900s, the property which Morgan Street Jail stood on was occupied by a small walled structure surrounded by various businesses. In 1925, the structure was replaced with the Hillsborough County Jail .

The much larger and more current prison, the Morgan Street Jail, was built in 1964, replacing the previous Hillsborough jail. The jail had a linear design, with long hallways and barred cell blocks, which did not require much staffing as standards did not require officers to be within sight or hearing distance of the inmates. In 1981, an annex was added on to the structure.

During the 1990s, overcrowding became an issue. As construction began on the Orient Road Jail, a temporary facility was built using trailers in 1988. Construction of the Orient Road Jail was completed in 1990 but detention staff undertook an 18-month effort to find a new site for future jail expansions. In 1993, the trailers were moved to Falkenburg Road, until a permanent facility was built in 1998 and expanded in 2003.

After the expansion of the Falkenburg Road Jail, talks were made to close Morgan Street Jail as the linear-winged design made it more expensive to run. In January 2004, the Morgan Street Jail was decommissioned and closed. Demolition of the building began in August 2009 to make preparations for the new high-speed rail being constructed between Tampa and Orlando, which is estimated to be completed by 2015.

Photo by Nomeus, 2008 -
Photo(Nomeus, 2008 – The recreation area

Photographer: Nomeus
Year Taken: 2008
Website: FLURBEX